Register today for our 2018 Program!
Designed to empower youth to lead, our innovative and experiential workshop series tasks high school students with designing and awarding grant funds to local nonprofits and community agencies. Students gain a deep understanding of the significance of philanthropy. Through time, talent and treasure, we cultivate change agents early in their leadership careers. The cost to participate is $150. Financial assistance is available.
2018 Program Dates:
– Day 1 Saturday, March 17, 2018 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
– Day 2 Saturday, March 24, 2018 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
– Day 3 Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
– Grant Ceremony Tuesday, May 1, 2018 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
2017 Program Outcomes:
-30 youth participated
-17 different high schools were represented
-$8,000 was granted to 4 community non-profits, including United Sound, Girls Rule Foundation, Act One, Cancer Support Community Arizona
After the 3 workshops and the grant award ceremony, program participants were asked to complete the sentence: “I am a philanthropist because I ____.” Some of their responses are below:
- Want to give back to the community I am a part of by contributing my thoughts, ideas, and talents.
- Want to make a positive impact on the world.
- Love helping people, and like that, I can use my talents to better our world.
- Must ensure the community gets the help they need.
Valley Leadership is fortunate to have been a part of their early training in leadership and philanthropy. We have great hopes, but even higher expectations. We look forward to having them become further invested in our community!
For additional information, please contact Program Manager, Sophia Mayberry at Sophia@valleyleadership.org.